Friday, October 12, 2018

Internship of a Lifetime

The following is a excerpt from GENEX Beef Intern, Anna Whitt's article which appeared in the September Horizons Beef Edition.

Never would I have imagined the opportunity to travel out west for a summer, much less participate and become more educated on what I truly care about: breeding cattle and all the factors that go with it. However, being the GENEX Beef Intern gave me that opportunity and more.

Coming from a smaller, 40-head black Angus herd in Spring Hill, Tennessee, I never realized how different things are out west! The fast pace, hard work, dedication and care for cattle that goes into artificial insemination (A.I.) breeding projects is more than I ever imagined. Additionally, knowing synchronization protocols and bull EPDs are major factors that create the desired genetics producers want in their herds.

Throughout the internship, I was often asked, “What’s your favorite place you’ve been so far?” I can honestly say I didn’t have a favorite. I saw mountains, valleys, hills and canyons. I was around all ages, sizes and breeds of cattle. One thing was certain, though: I met so many wonderful people along the way who share a love for cattle.

As the saying goes, “If you love what you do, you’ll never work a day in your life.” This statement couldn’t be any more accurate for the GENEX teams I worked with during my internship. Everyone cared not only about their quality of work, but also the relationships with producers they built along the way.


This internship was the experience of a lifetime. I was able to further my knowledge, skills and hands-on experiences in something I am truly passionate about. After helping breed over 4,000 head, traveling over 6,000 miles and visiting eight states, I’d say GENEX has provided this ole homebody Tennessee girl with the perfect start to pursuing her dreams. And, I couldn’t be more thankful or blessed!

Watch for details of this spring's internship coming soon, and find your experience of a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment