Friday, February 26, 2016

Just How Cost Effective is A.I.?

By: Sarah Thorson, Genex Beef Education Instructor

In many parts of the country calving season is just getting started, but with bulls sales off to a hot start again this spring many producers are already thinking ahead to breeding season.  While calf prices fell dramatically last fall, it seems that bull prices have not come down as much, with many early sales averaging within a few hundred dollars of last year’s record high prices. 
            
The last couple of years I have said that there has never been a better time for commercial cattle producers to try Artificial Insemination (A.I.), and this year is certainly no exception, in fact A.I. may be more cost effective this year than it has been at any time in the past! Couple that with the advantage of using proven genetics and a more uniform calf crop with more calves born earlier in the breeding season and you’ve got a recipe for success during a downturn in the cattle market.


Just how cost effective is A.I.? 

As you can see, in this scenario, there is actually a $2.36/calf advantage to using A.I.  You don’t have to take my word for it though, I encourage to run this example with your own numbers.  If you have any questions about any Genex products or services please do not hesitate to give your local Genex representative a call.  They are equipped with the tools and knowledge to help make your next breeding project a success.  

No comments:

Post a Comment