Thursday, November 24, 2016

The Holiday That Makes Your Heart and Belly Full

By: Brooke Handy, Public Relations Coordinator, CRI

For me, and I’m sure many of you as well, Thanksgiving has always been a time to reflect. What I am thankful for changes year to year, but there are always a few constants.



As the weather gets colder, I’m thankful for Carhartt® coveralls to help block the wind-chill (I wish -30 was a number that only existed in math class), decent chore boots (without holes) and fuzzy socks to keep my feet warm and dry.


I’m thankful for good, maternal cows that raise big, healthy babies every year (also for my favorite farm dog that always has my back when those same cows are breathing down my neck while I'm checking calves).

I’m thankful chore time is always family time, even if a few of us aren’t speaking to each other by the time we get back to the house.









I’m thankful for old, reliable trucks that have a permanent layer of dirt embedded in the upholstery. No matter how worn, tattered and run-down it gets, it keeps chugging along, hauling feed, fencing supplies or a few helping hands.








I’m thankful I grew up in a farm family that instilled the importance of hard work, honesty and the ability to scale a fence in 0.3 seconds flat.

I’m thankful for a career in the agriculture industry that has allowed me to meet the most sincere, hard-working individuals from all over America.

I’m thankful for our loyal members and customers who pour their heart and souls into what they do. The producers who work sun up to sun down to provide for not only themselves, but for the rest of the world as well.



I’m thankful for all the Genex employees who work long days to help our customers and members reach their herd goals.

I’m thankful for a short workweek that will end with glorious Thanksgiving food, especially pie –  every kind of pie you can imagine.

Most of all, I am thankful for the opportunity to sit around a table with my family this Thanksgiving, enjoying the fruits of many farmers’ labor and the ability to go back for seconds (okay, maybe thirds).


I hope your holiday is full of food, laughter and family. And I hope you are just as lucky as me to have so many things to be thankful for. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment