Friday, September 22, 2017

Are You Ready for Winter?


As I sit here sweating, winter may be the last thing on my mind, but I know it is coming, even if Mother Nature has thrown us a little late summer/early fall heat wave. So, I figured I would take advantage of this nice weather, since the corn isn’t dry enough to chop, and do a little winter preparation. 
Here’s my quick list of things you can do too:

Pick up around the yard to eliminate any problems for snow plowing operations. 

Move calf hutches to an area that will be protected from harsh winds. 


Locate and inspect calf coats. If it is time for more - or new ones, get them ordered.

Clean drain pipes, grate covers and catch basins of any debris to prevent water from backing up and freezing. 


Prepare vehicles by checking tire treads, brakes, batteries and tire pressures. Repair all windshield chips before the cold turns them into larger cracks. 

Review your A.I. protocol to make sure it includes protecting thawed semen from temperature changes.

What else have you been doing around the farm to prepare for winter? Drop your ideas in the comments section below. I would love to hear from you!


No comments:

Post a Comment